Monday, October 6, 2014

Where in the World : Beautiful St. John's Newfoundland


A month ago, when we were in the thick of  unpacking boxes and making our new {old} house feel like home, my Senior Sales Director told me I need to travel for three days in St. John's Newfoundland. I've been wanting to see this part of Canada for a long time so I easily surrendered my weekend and left my hubby with those unpacked boxes on top of the 17 chickens and 2 ducks!

Known as "North America's oldest city", St. John's is located along the coast of Atlantic Ocean on the eastern tip of the the Avalon Peninsula on the island of Newfoundland. St John's holds the title of "Most Days a Year with Precipitation". An average of 212 days with precipitation a year! No wonder it was drizzling when the plane landed.

I was working most of the time I was there but I made sure to find some time to walk around the city when the sun finally decided to appear. The narrow winding streets lined with colorful clapboard rowhouses  are postcard perfect! 




One evening, we went to The Rooms for some wine and appetizers.  The food and wine choices were great but what made the gastronomic experience even more special is the awesome panoramic view of the city nestled in lush green mountains surrounded by blue water.


George Street in downtown St. John's is the centre of  entertainment district. This two blocks of pubs, restaurants and bars is known as "the biggest little street in the world". It has the most pubs and bars per square foot of any street in North America. I enjoyed authentic Newfoundland dishes in a couple of restaurants (more about these in future blog posts) and had my "screech-in ceremony" {kiss the cod} at O'Riellys. I guess a visit to Newfoundland is not complete without kissing the cod!


Further down the city block are churches and old buildings that completed the old world ambiance of this charming city in the Maritimes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...